HISTORY OF THE MCFARLAND INN
In the fall of 1884, Robert Early McFarland, a 27-year old lawyer from Murray, Idaho was elected the first probate judge of Shoshone County. He served in that position until May of the following year when President Grover Cleveland appointed him registrar of the United States Land Office in Coeur d'Alene. On November 21, 1885, Judge McFarland married Marie Vivian Pendy in Murray. Marie was the first white woman to be married in the Coeur d'Alenes. On their wedding day, the McFarland's came down the Coeur d'Alene River on a bateau and settled in the village of Coeur d'Alene. In 1890, after serving 5 years in the Land Office, Robert went into private practice in Coeur d'Alene.
In 1894, he was admitted to practice before the Supreme Court. Two years later, as a candidate on the People's Democratic ticket, he was elected the Attorney General of Idaho. In 1905, he moved back to Coeur d'Alene with his wife and four children. A gentleman named Mr. Landt built a large two story classic revival home at 601 E. Foster Avenue specifically for the McFarland family. A fifth child was born in 1907. Various members of the McFarland family lived in the home until 1971. In 1985, the home was bought by Stephen and Winifred Gregory. They opened the home as Gregory's McFarland House Bed and Breakfast. In 1989, the home won the Special Heritage Award presented by the Cranbrook Archives, Museum and Landmark Foundation for the preservation and restoration of an historic building. In 2004, the Gregory's sold the home to Nancy Harper. After extensive remodeling, Nancy is now operating the home as The McFarland Inn, in honor of Robert Early McFarland and his family.